Car Puzzle Route through Southeast Friesland – “The Other Friesland”
The real connoisseur of nature, culture, and history has to be in the southeast of the province. Because the car puzzle route “The Other Friesland” is not about water sports, sailing boats, and fierljeppen (the Frisian sport of canal-jumping with a pole), and not even about the Elfstedentocht. Conversely, this road trip immerses you in the stories of peat soil diggers and tells you about the few immensely rich families who largely determined the shapes and ways of the region today.
At some parts you’ll by driving alongside arrow straight “peat”-canals, while at other parts you’ll be crossing ancient meandering rivers. You’ll enter mysterious forests, dwell across far stretched heathlands, and discover the existence of pingo's (hills originating from the ice age) and river dunes. Did you know that the very first inhabitants of our country – the Neandertahls – likely settled in this area? Even before the ice ages! Now that’s what we call “primeval.”
What do you know about the “Free Frisians” across the Frisian Watergates, about the power of the headstrong Frisian peat-cutters? We bet that – after driving this route – Friesland will have a completely different imago for you!
Available from Wednesdays to Sundays
When purchasing the basic package for a LocalGroningen car puzzle route, you will receive the following:
- detailed directions
- description for special points
- questions to win prizes
- car bingo and puzzles for the kids
(Price basic package is per car).
Available from Wednesdays to Sundays
Order 2 days in advance
- everything from the basic package
- extensive picnic lunch, homemade and completely composed with products directly from the region.
(Price per two persons. Additional charge for extra persons from € 12.50 pp for children; additional charge for adults is € 17.50 pp).
- Starting location: De Slotplaats, Foarwurker Wei 3, 9243 JZ Bakkeveen.
- Finish location: in the middle of Oldeberkoop at the St. Bonifatiuskerk.
- Length of the route: ca. 67 km.
- Duration: ca, 3,5 á 4 hours, depending on the amount times you stop and get out.
How does it work?
Choose your package and route from underneath, and – if you already know – the date that you want to drive the car puzzle route.
- After your order, you will receive a confirmation email with a link. Via the link, you can download the instructions and the introduction about the region.
- At the starting location De Slotplaats, you will receive the route book with route navigation, and a lot of information about the route and the region.
- Did you also order the picnic lunch package? Then this will be waiting for you at the starting location. Find yourself a nice spot in the garden of De Slotplaats and enjoy your special lunch, or simply bring it with you in the car.
- Upon arrival in Oldeberkoop, you are at the end of the route. The route book offers a few suggestions for places to have a drink and/or a bite at.
Catering during the car puzzle route
LocalGroningen deems it of the highest importance to support our local entrepreneurs. We are therefore very happy with our collaboration with the new owners of De Slotplaats in Bakkeveen. You can expand the booking of car puzzle route The Other Friesland with:
- A good cup of coffee/tea with homemade sweets on De Slotplaats terrace, before you start your journey (order and pay on the spot).
- One of those delicious Slotplaats picnic lunches, filled with a variation of regional products and homemade delicacies.
Special starting location - De Slotplaats
The route “The Other Friesland” begins at a special starting location, one with an impressive building, beautiful surroundings, and much more (the route book will tell you all about it)! Make sure to have a look inside the freshly opened coach-house, which hosts a lovely store selling all kinds of special products from the region. And for the children, it doesn’t get any better than this, for they can start the route with primeval playing in the primal forest.
Interested in other routes?
Besides this route “The Other Friesland,” LocalGroningen has more special car puzzle routes in Friesland and of course throughout Groningen as well. Curious? Head to our page Car Puzzle Routes Groningen.