Car puzzle tour The victory of the Bourtanger swamp
The route tells the story of peat and heathland reclamation, canalisation, esdorpen, to primeval forests and the Ruiten A that has regained its original watercourse. You will discover secrets, stories and trivia about this special region during the route.
It starts in Stadskanaal, a village that meant a lot in the exploitation of the Drenthe peat for the city of Groningen. Knoal not only has a peat history, but if you look closely, has sights and art that will surprise you immensely. The region was part of an impenetrable bog, one of the largest peat bogs in Western Europe. Westerwolde is sometimes called the Netherlands' best-kept secret. With this route, we lift a few tips of the veil. In the process, the area has a rich history with many historical stories.
A varied route that shows both urban and rural areas. Come and discover it.
A well-filled regional goodie bag will be waiting for the first 100 route riders. If you want a chance to win one of these goodie bags, ride the route before Pentecost. Be quick 😊. As long as stocks last!
The goodie bags are sponsored by:
- Rolfes Sports Cycling | Lifestyle
- Museum Klooster Ter Apel](https://www.kloosterterapel.nl/nl/)
- Gasterij Natuurlijk Smeerling](https://www.gasterij-natuurlijk-smeerling.nl)
- Kopje Genieten](https://www.kopjegenieten.nl)
- Westerwolde Stables](https://www.stalwesterwolde.nl)
- Lunch Café Mocha's](https://www.mokkas.nl)
- Camping de Kapschuur](https://campingdekapschuur.nl)
- De Woeste Grond ](https://www.dewoestegrond.nl/nl/)
- SML candle maker](https://sml-kaarsenatelier.nl)
- Westerwolde Brewery](https://www.brouwerij-westerwolde.nl)
- The Cheese Bank](https://www.dekaasbank.nl/Delicatessen-Ter-Apel-Groningen)
- Restaurant De Rode Loper](https://www.restaurantderodeloper.nl)
## Route information
- Start location: Camping De Kapschuur, Stadskanaal
- End location: Gasterij Natuurlijk Smeerling
- Length: approx. 50 or 65 km (incl. optional suggestions along the way)
- Duration: approx. 3.5 to 4 hours, depending on the number of stops.
- This tour can be ridden every Wednesday to Sunday.
- Starting time is from 10.00 am.
- Along the way, you will be given various tips for a terrace, nice gallery, museum, walking route, etc.
- Suggested lunch along the way is Hotel Boshuis and as a rest stop we can recommend the former Laude dairy, De Woeste Grond.
## How does it work?
- Choose your package, your route and, if you already know it, date when you want to drive the car puzzle route.
- After your order, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a link.
- Use the link to download the instructions and introduction about the region.
- At the start location, you will receive the route book with route navigation and lots of information about the route and region.
- The folder also contains questions with which you can win prizes.
- An important task awaits the children, namely: solving fun puzzles and the car bingo.
Bij aankoop van het basispakket ontvang je het volgende:
- gedetailleerde routebeschrijving
- beschrijving bij bijzondere punten
- vragen om prijzen mee te winnen
- autobingo en puzzels voor de kids
(Prijs basispakket is per auto)
## Some responses from riders
"We discovered many new things with the children.
"We found it a fun, varied route, in which we first saw a lot of Stadskanaal and then a lot of the countryside around it."
"What a fun surprising and above all varied route this was. The weather was beautiful too! Villages and nature interspersed, nice information and what a beautiful area the forests in Ter Apel, Sellingen and Smeerling. Really worthwhile, and then now everything was still bare, you have to imagine what it will look like later......beautiful!"