Car Puzzle Route “The Grain Republic” in the Oldambt
Experience the Grain Republic and discover the story behind the battle with the water of the Dollard that lasted for centuries. Now the Dollard offers a truly beautiful experience. The UNESCO World Heritage site is a beautiful area for a walk and spotting seals.
Discover the story behind the stately farms in Oldambt. With springs filled with huge yellow rapeseed fields, and summers full of many hectares of waving grain fields. For those who can handle such spaciousness, all year long the region offers a therapeutic peace and quietness.
However, remember; all this beauty also had a dark flipside, namely the bitter poverty among the laborers.
The famous writer Frank Westerman wrote the impressive book “De Graanrepubliek” (“The Grain Republic”) about the Oldambt region. Through a story of rise and fall, he tells how the Groninger grain barons have fared the past hundred years – from the flood to one of the richest agricultural regions of Europe.
The first 100 Oldambt-route drivers receive the book "De Graanrepubliek" – signed by the writer himself.
Available from Wednesdays to Sundays
When purchasing the basic package for a LocalGroningen car puzzle route, you will receive the following:
- detailed directions
- description for special points
- questions to win prizes
- car bingo and puzzles for the kids
(Price basic package is per car).
Available from Wednesdays to Sundays (order at least two days in advance).
- everything from the basic package
- upon arrival a cup of coffee/tea with apple pie and whipped cream
- lunch package richly filled with products directly from the region
- snack for the road.
(Price per two persons. Additional price extra persons € 15.00 pp children up to and including 12 years; additional price from 13 years € 20.00 pp).
Route “Grain Republic” suitable for campers
Especially for camper tour lovers, we have developed a 2-day roadtrip. In a very attractive way, you can drive the route “Grain Republics” and the route Middle–Groningen, with a starting location and overnight stop at a very good camper camping. Curious? Read more!
How does it work?
- Choose your package underneath and, if you already know, the date that you want to ride your car puzzle route.
- After your order you receive a confirmation e-mail with a link.
- Via the link you download the introductory information.
- At the start location, you receive the route book with route navigation and a lot of information about the route and the region that you’ll be driving in.
- When you reach the finish location, you can hand in your completed question list. In addition, you have the chance to learn more about the farm Hermans Dijkstra.
- If you’ve ordered our Luxury-package, then this will be handed to you at the starting location.
Catering during the car puzzle route
During the booking of a car puzzle route, you can add a lunch package.
The lunch package consists solely out of regional ingredients and products. The lunch package is handed to you and the start location, so you can enjoy it together down the road.
During the route, you’ll also get tips for nice places to enjoy a refreshing drink on the terrace.